There are many different types of modifications an individual can request in a family case. On this page, modification refers to changing any order of the court regarding parenting time, child support, maintenance, or property division.

Generally, modifications are requested after the court has entered a final, permanent order. While it is possible to modify a temporary order (an order issued while the case is pending), it's not regularly requested because it's not an efficient use of a lawyer's or the court's time.

Once the judge issues a final order in a case, the order will only be modified if a party requests a change and the judge grants it. Whether or not the judge grants a request depends on if the party making the request meets the legal requirements for a modification. There are specific statutory requirements for each type of modification so please check out the following links to learn more:

Modifying Parenting Time

Modifying Property Division